Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Back at work...

Well, last week marked my first week back at work with out the boy... I had thought about it and tossed and turned over it for days, no weeks... if someone mentioned it or asked when I was coming back I immediately choked up and and teared up. So the day came, we had a run through with Granny Reid the week before and all went well... Sebastian did not bat an eye lid - and he is such an easy, happy baby all went well.

Up in the a.m. and over to Granny's - on the boobs so only one bottle would be required til lunchtime - in the car to the office. Dry eyes mostly - until I glanced in the rear-view and saw his empty car seat base and I blubbed. It had been he and I against the world for 8 weeks - the 2 of us toodling around town from appointments, family homes and to lunch dates... fabulous.

I got to the office and they had decorated my cube with signs and confetti and had tissues at the ready - so that got me a bit sniffly again. I spent the morning being overwhelmed by the amount of work already waiting and fighting the urge to call and see how he was - knowing I would get a call if things were not well...

At 12.30 I dashed out and drove to my Mum's - Seb was fine and hanging with Granny, Tia Jackie and cousin Jamie... I gave him each boob and had a french bread pizza made by Mum and then he and I hit the road. Mai met us as our house and took over and I headed back to work aware that it was so much harder for me than him... he knows his carers and they love him - what more can I ask?

I got home at 5.45 and he was with daddy chilling - we went with Chiron round the park and had dinner, a bath and then went to bed... easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Tuesday is another story - around lunch time I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach and by Tuesday night had stomach flu - I stayed home on Wednesday and Mum came round to watch Seb so I could rest. I felt a bit better Thursday a.m. though still had not eaten or kept the cup of soup or crackers in... I left work at 3 on Thursday and then stayed home Friday - what a crazy first week.

Come Saturday Mum was terribly ill with this and Jamie had suffered in the week too - bless him and poor Sarah as he was out both ends poor little mite.

So week 2 came - I got lots of rest this weekend which was lovely (also mastitis in the right boob from switching to more pumping less sucking), but got through that with hot compresses, hot showers, lots of massage and putting Seb on the boob - thanks Flex for all your support and making me stop and get in the hot shower when I needed it!

Seb is spending his mornings this week at Granny Fleener's doc practice - in the back with some of the gang there who are spoiling him rotten - his great granny goes over to help too so he is in his element - plus then I get to pass Starbucks en route back to the office... it is going well and we will be back to Granny Reid's next week when she has had some flu recovery time...

So there we are - back at work - crazy stuff going on and the baby is the most unphased of all... they truly are amazing - everything about them... just watching him process things and know in his head he too can do this... Alex and I were poking our tongues out at him the other night and he watched and then kept moving his mouth in the funniest ways - we just KNEW he was trying to copy... FANTASTIC!


  1. Hi!

    Just found your blog over at Heidi's site. I have to say that I feel for you - only eight weeks of recovery and then back to work? And the pumping and rushing around? Better move here (Norway), or even better, to Sweden. They get more than a year off with full wages.

  2. 8 weeks was alot - my company was only required to give me 6 weeks - can you imagine! I am originally from UK - and we get 9 months off and family income benefits and free milk for first year etc... trust me i miss it...